Home' Hunter Its People : June 2010 Contents 44 THE HERALD Thursday, June 24, 2010
A proud member of
Newcastle Port Corporation is proud to be a part of the Hunter community.
New generations of Hunter people are already helping to make a difference.
The Corporation is providing to Stockton Primary School $15,000 in sponsorship over
five years to allow the school's 243 students to join the highly successful ClimateCam
program run by Newcastle City Council.
NSW Minister for Ports and Waterways, Paul McLeay, visited the school to announce
the sponsorship on behalf of Newcastle Port Corporation. He presented Vice Captain,
Jayden Rolston, Captain Darby Mehan, and Acting Principal, Mrs Pauline Smith (pictured
left to right) with a ClimateCam plaque to mark the beginning of the project.
ClimateCam for Schools tackles climate change at the local level by showing students how
to reduce energy and water use in their school.
Newcastle Port Corporation also sponsors Carrington Public School in the local initiative
which provides practical environmental learning experiences for students.
JOHN ANDREW MCKENZIE
JOHN McKenzie is considered the ''father of
Born at Stroud, he was the seventh son of Alexander
McKenzie and Catherine McDonald, who migrated to
NSW in 1856.
The family had land at Telegherry, three kilometres to
the north of Stroud, and McKenzie grew up in the district
becoming a well-respected auctioneer and agent.
His interest in the Gloucester district was sparked
around the turn of the 20th century when the Australian
Agricultural Co, which owned all the land between Wards
River and the Manning, tried to sell part of the estate to
the colonial government. The attempt failed.
Realising the possibility of a successful subdivision,
McKenzie put together a consortium of graziers and
agents who purchased more than 80,900 hectares in one
block from the AA Co in 1902, at a price of 12/6 an acre.
The new estate was called the Gloucester Estate Ltd and
the company set about subdividing and selling the land for
settlement. Buyers came from all over the Commonwealth
and the first 10,520 hectares sold in 1903 for 20 schillings
to five pounds 13 shillings for 0.4 of a hectare.
Over the next 20 years, the company subdivided and sold
family farms, allowing the Gloucester district to spring to
life after 75 years of neglect.
Gloucester became a busy centre and in 1904 a School
of Arts was built. On July 8, 1905, the first edition of the
Gloucester Advocate appeared on the streets and, a year later,
it was purchased by McKenzie, who at the time was the
local manager of Gloucester Estate Ltd.
While McKenzie was the moving force behind the 20th
century growth of Gloucester he did not live to see his
dreams come to fruition as he died suddenly in 1912.
Born in Scotland in 1793, Laurie brought his wife and family
to Australia in the early 1840s where he managed Australian
Agricultural Co properties between 1842 and 1849.
He purchased his Rawdon Vale property around 1852
and became a leading grazier whose descendents have
been major players in Gloucester grazing and civic matters.
The family still runs properties at Rawdon Vale, where
Laurie died in 1880.
Born in 1818 in Peebles, the same town in Scotland that
Joseph Laurie came from, Higgins married Laurie's
daughter, Janet, and when he came to NSW in 1839 he
encouraged the Laurie family to follow.
Higgins was an Australian Agricultural Co station
manager who established Berrico Station in 1859. Like
Laurie, his descendents have been leading graziers and
civic leaders in the Gloucester area.
Higgins died in 1889 at Berrico.
Rye was a journalist who moved to Gloucester in 1906
to edit the Gloucester Advocate, buying the newspaper the
following year and running it until 1918.
His sons, Leslie and Douglas, then ran the Advocate
Born in London in 1851, Rye cam
NSW in 1860 and began his working
as a saddler in Taree before turning
journalism, establishing the Wingham
Chronicle in 1879, where he later
covered the capture of Jimmy
Governor. He also worked on
the Sydney Morning Herald and
Rye died in Newcastle in 1924.
A carrier and storekeeper in
Copeland from 1878 to 1883,
Reichert was born in Germany
He moved to Gloucester after
his time in Copeland and from
1889 to 1901 he was a carrier and
hotel keeper in the town. His son,
William, ran the Gloucester Hotel
from 1905 to 1915.
Reichert died in Gloucester in 192
Born in 1885 in Salt Ash, Matthewson was a
coach driver in his youth.
He moved to Gloucester around 1912 and became a
farmer, auctioneer and land and trucking agent, and was
behind the development of land at the southern end of
He died in 1952.
The grandson of the 1839 explorer Joseph Hawdon, the
first overlander from Port Phillip to Adelaide, Hawdon was
born in Moruya in 1878 and became a solicitor.
He moved to Gloucester in 1905, became a shire
councillor and was Shire President in 1910/11. He became
a leading member of the School of Arts and chamber
of commerce and was the managing director of the
Gloucester Electrical Supply Co from 1924 to 1944.
He stood unsuccessfully for the seat of Gloucester in the
JAMES HUTTON SHEDDEN
Shedden was attracted to Gloucester because of the
development chances on offer and between 1909 and 1924
he was a bridge contractor, timber merchant and a leader
in the development of the hardwood timber industry in
He secured Gloucester Park for the community and was
a shire councillor between 1914 and 1922.
Born in Waratah in 1864, he died in Sydney in 1926.
THOMAS NEWTON CARTER
The first Gloucester Shire Council President in 1906,
Carter was a teacher in NSW and Western Australia when
he was young.
Born in Morpeth in 1872, he moved to the Gloucester
district in 1905. He lived at Stratford and became a
grazier, storekeeper and auctioneer.
of the first settlers in Gloucester,
east by 1860, he lived in a cottage
Church St and was a labourer
nd delivered mail by packhorse to
His greatest boon to the area
may have been his 11 daughters,
as early Gloucester was women-
starved. He had around 90
Born in Ireland circa 1836, he
died in Gloucester in 1917.
Born in Dungog in 1892, Hicks
served in World War I and was
everly wounded at Gallipoli.
After the war he moved to
ucester, around 1927, and became
ctioneer and agent. He was a
pporter of the ''Diggers'' and was
t in the RSL.
He died in Gloucester in 1950.
The wife of Tom Hicks, Irene Hicks was born in Dungog in
1897 to a prominent grazing family.
She was a indefatigable promoter of good causes
and served with the Voluntary Aid Detachment, an
organisation operating in British Empire countries, in
both World War I and II, and headed a massive effort to
feed troops passing through the area by train.
She also organised the construction of the memorial
gates at St Clements Park in 1960 and assisted in the
formation of Gloucester Historical Society in 1962, the
year she died.
THE HUNTER ...
''His greatest boon to the area
may have been his 11 daughters,
as early Gloucester was
The wife of
Thunderbolt, Mary Ann
Bugg, was born at
Gloucester in 1834.
Saxby found gold in
Back Creek, Copeland,
in 1876 and there were
soon around 70 gold
mines in the area.
Links Archive Hunter Our Backyard June 2011 Navigation Previous Page Next Page