Home' Hunter Its People : June 2010 Contents Thursday, June 24, 2010 THE HERALD 29
Telephone: 02 4961 5200 | www.autoadvantage.com.au
Kyle Loades and the team at Auto Advantage have been
helping thousands of Hunter people buy a car since 2001.
TIME, MONEY AND STRESS
WHEN BUYING A CAR
> Free car buying service > Independent advice
> Trade disposal > All makes and models
> New & Used > Personalised service to your door
> Business and private > Fleet Management
> Finance options available
hunter business people
working for our future
4969 9600 www.hunterbusinesschamber.com.au
Gould migrated from England in 1838 and in 1860 he
and his family moved to Singleton where, in 1874, he
began a sawmilling and logging business with Frederick
King, supplying hand-sawn timber to customers.
In 1882 the mill was moved nearer the town railway
station and it flourished until destroyed by fire in 1887,
when a new company was formed.
Gould was a member of the Christian Israelite Church
and had a chapel on the side of his home, and in 1894
donated land for a church, while in 1934 his daughter,
Eliza, gave the land where the original mill stood to the
church. Gould lost his wife in 1901 and took an overseas
trip, falling ill in England and never returning to Australia,
where his business was carried on by three sons and family
shareholders as Gould Bros.
HENRY MCFADDEN JNR
Born at Lower Belford in 1848, Henry McFadden arrived
in Singleton around 1850 when his father opened a
coach-building and blacksmith business where
he learned his trade as a coach and bu
He went on to work in Sydney,
Armidale, Richmond and Goulburn
before returning to Singleton with
a very successful coach and buggy
building business which only closed
with the advent of the motor car.
In Singleton he became known as
''The Father of the Show'' as he
was a foundation member of the
Northern Agricultural Association
and later a life member, he was a
committee member, president and
trustee of the Mechanics Institute, a
committee member of the Hospital
and Benevolent Society, a member
of the Manchester Unity Order of
Oddfellows for 60 years, honorary
treasurer of Singleton Jockey Club, a
member of Singleton's first polo club
Singleton Bowling Club, was an alderm
29 years and Mayor in 1899, 1900 and 1901 and
turned the first sod for Singleton's water supply in 1910.
He died at 90 in Singleton in 1937.
WILLIAM LONGWORTH JNR
William Longworth Jnr's grandfather came to Newcastle
from England as a miner for the Australian Agricultural
Company and worked the collieries around the city before
Longworth Jnr, his father and brother worked in coal
mining in the Singleton district from 1878 to 1883.
Longworth Snr was killed in 1884 while working a
colliery at Rix's Creek.
In 1893 Longworth Jnr and his partners leased the
Great Cobar Copper Mines which Longworth managed,
and then began an electrolytic works at Lithgow. After
selling Great Cobar and other mines for about one
million pounds in 1907, Longworth continued mining
at Nundah and he and his brother began Australian
Woollen Mills at Marrickville, before he moved to Karuah,
bought the Woodford and Buttai estates at Thornton,
built a timber mill and bought a brickyard there as well as
the Ashtonfield Colliery. Longworth supported hospitals
and institutions in Sydney and in the country at Cobar,
Lithgow, Singleton, Maitland, Newcastle and Waratah,
donating a building for children at the Mater.
Longworth died at his home, Glenroy, at Karuah, in
1928 and is buried at Whittingham.
The wife of Benjamin Singleton from the age of 15, Mary
Singleton had moved to his land at St Patrick's Plains by
1823 and by 1829 there were 10 children in the family.
She supported Singleton in his various pursuits and after
he died in 1853 she continued to live in the town named
after him until around 1874, when she moved to live with
her daughter in West Maitland, where she died in 1877, a
mother of 10 and grandmother of nearly 70.
She was known to help anyone who needed
d on her death her remains were
from Maitland and interred at
orn in Neotsfield in 1840, Dangar was
educated in Newcastle before going to
Truro Grammar School in Cornwell
and further education in Germany.
After three years in the British
Merchant Service he returned to
NSW to manage family properties,
becoming a noted breeder and
founding the Pastoralists Union
of NSW. In 1866 he married and
hree years later bought a property at
Whittingham called Rosemount where,
ew years later, the family moved into
home renamed Baroona.
ngar had real estate interests in
n, Maitland and Newcastle, was
of the Rix's Creek coal mine and
Great Cobar Syndicate. A generous benefactor,
after the Hunter flood of 1893 he sent a ''bag of gold'' to
Singleton's All Saints Church to provide relief.
He and wife Mary bought the land and donated 8000
pounds for the building of Singleton Hospital, built the
second All Saints Church and donated the church organ,
although he died in 1913 before hearing it played. He
supported the Northern Agricultural Association and the
Singleton Cricket Club.
Singleton's first Mayor, Munro was born in Scotland in
1812 and was transported to NSW in 1831 for theft from a
grocery store, and was assigned to John Browne of Patrick's
Plains before being granted his freedom in 1836.
He began a carrying business before branching into other
lines of work, and in 1841 built the Sir Thomas Mitchell Inn
on the corner of George and Cambridge streets, continuing
to lease and run hotels and lease and purchase station
properties while also working in his coaching business.
In 1851 he built the Caledonia Hotel and in 1856 erected
Ness House in George St, still standing today although
altered and renamed. Munro established Bebeah Vineyard
and his wines won awards around the world, and he built
his new home, Ardersier, near the winery.
When Singleton was proclaimed a municipality in 1866
he was elected Mayor for four years and is credited with
making Singleton into a town, giving land and money to its
He built a gas-making plant when the council was not
interested and then turned it over to
council at its original cost, was a
founder of the Oddfellows Lodge,
donated land and money for
a Masonic hall, helped the
Presbyterian Church, gave
land for the cemetery at
Singleton Grammar School
and the Hunter River
Building Society, financed
the north wing of the
hospital in John St and gave
money to the hospital.
The townspeople of
Singleton had a life-size
marble bust of Munro
made to show their
is now with the
died in 1889
and is buried in
... ITS PEOPLE
''Alexander Munro ... was Singleton's
first Mayor and is credited with
making Singleton into a town,
giving land and money to its
planted possibly the
first vineyard in the
area on his property
at Kirkton, between
Branxton, in 1831.
A Jerry's Plains farmer,
Sir John Robertson, later
a wheat grower near
Scone, dominated NSW
politics from the late
1850s and was Premier
of NSW five times
beginning from 1860.
Links Archive Hunter Our Backyard June 2011 Navigation Previous Page Next Page