Home' Hunter Its People : June 2010 Contents Thursday, June 24, 2010 THE HERALD 27
He built his first home, Berry Park House, in 1837, built
a boiling-down works at Berry Park in the early 1840s
and, as he would not accept convict labour, brought out
Chinese labour, also promoting the immigration of Indian
When coal was discovered on his land he began mining
and exported coal from Duckenfield Collieries, building
a rail line from the mines to Hexham, eventually selling
both to James and Alexander Brown.
Around 1853-'54 he sold many of the stations he had
around NSW and began building his mansion Duckenfield
Park House in the 1860s, where he died in 1871.
JAMES JOHN CADELL
Born in Scotland in 1815, Dr James Cadell arrived in
Australia in 1839 and in Raymond Terrace around 1841,
where he bought land from James King and built Cadell
Cottage, which still stands.
Cadell was a single man on arrival and married his
cousin, Catherine Cadell, having 11 children with her and
four more with his second wife Elizabeth.
He lived at Raymond Terrace for 43 years until his death
in 1885, an important figure in a pioneering community
who greatly influenced the well being of the entire district.
Moxey, his wife Mary and their two children left England
in 1848 and arrived in Australia, settling at Seaham where
their third child was born in 1850.
The family had moved to Cabbage Tree, now
Williamtown, by 1851 then shifted further afield before
returning to Williamtown in 1856, becoming landowners
and farmers in the area with crops including vegetables
and corn and producing cream, while Mary was the
Wesleyan Methodists, they were very active in the church
and at 84 years of age Mary laid the foundation of the
Methodist parsonage at Raymond Terrace.
The couple's descendents helped form the Hunter
Valley Dairy Co-operative and many descendents still live
in the area.
The stone Centenary Gates at the entrance to Tanilba Bay
were erected in 1931 to commemorate the arrival of the
first European settler on the Tilligerry Peninsula, naval
officer William Caswell.
It has often been reported that Lieutenant Caswell
served as a midshipman on Nelson's ship Victory at the
battle of Trafalgar, but it appears this is not true although
he did serve in the Royal Navy for 20 years.
On leaving the navy, he and his family came to Australia
in 1828 and established farm sites at Seaham and Salt
Ash before building their homestead at Tanilba, starting
with a slab hut in 1829, a cottage in 1831 and laying the
foundations of what is now Tanilba House in 1837.
The Caswells lived at Tanilba for about 15 years before
moving to a smaller family farm at Balickera, East
Seaham, where family friend the famed explorer Ludwig
Leichhardt is believed to have left on his fatal expedition
Caswell was buried at sea when he died on the way
to England in 1859, taking his wife Susan to see family
she had not seen for 30 years. The widow and the three
daughters who were travelling with her -- the Caswells had
11 children in all - never returned to Australia.
Surgeon Walter Scott was born in Scotland in 1787 and
arrived in Tasmania in 1823, soon moving to Sydney.
By May of 1823 he had a grant of 243 hectares on the
Paterson Plains which he called Wallalong, although as
he was employed at Newcastle as Commissariat clerk and
storeman, he may not have spent much time at the property.
In 1824 he accompanied soldiers and convicts to
Moreton Bay to establish a new penal settlement, but the
first site was abandoned and the land where Brisbane now
stands was selected, eventually evolving into the state of
Queensland. Scott is believed to have run the army store
and worked as surgeon, the first in northern Australia.
By 1828, Scott had returned to the Hunter and work at
Newcastle and he purchased more land -- 291 hectares in
1836 and 259 hectares at Seaham in 1839 -- where he built
his property Eskdale, which still operates as a large cattle
enterprise. Scott experimented with crops at Eskdale,
including cotton and wheat, and it is believed the Arnott
Biscuit Factory received direct milk supplies from the
property for its manufacturing, particularly its famous
milk arrowroot biscuits.
As well as being a surgeon and pastoralist, from 1839
to 1854 he served as the district magistrate, was active in
political and philanthropic issues and publically opposed
moves to reintroduce convict transport to NSW.
Dr Scott returned to Britain and died in London in
1854, aged 67. In 1993 a memorial was erected in Seaham
commemorating his pioneer service as a surgeon and the
influence he had on colonial life.
An early landowner around Raymond Terrace and
Seaham, Mosman and his twin brother (Mosman in
Sydney is named after the brother) arrived in Australia in
1828 after leaving their native Scotland and travelling via
the West Indies, where they were sugar planters.
Mosman separated from his brother around 1829 and
acquired the property Burrowl at East Seaham, where he
married one of his servants, Jane Blanch, although he was
32 years her senior.
Mosman operated the first punt across the Williams
River and by 1831 was captain of Maid of the Mill, a sailing
ship that operated between Sydney and Newcastle. A very
prominent man in local affairs, in 1843 he was appointed
to a local government committee at Raymond Terrace.
He died in 1868.
John Shadrack Hart has the honour of being the first
Mayor of Raymond Terrace, initially in 1884 and returned
for the next two years, while he also stood in the NSW
elections of 1894 for the seat of Gloucester but was
Born in Sydney in 1838, he moved to Raymond Terrace
with his parents at the age of four. He worked as a station
superintendent and about 1867 leased and ran the
Junction Inn at Raymond Terrace, which was owned by his
After about 10 years at the hotel he started a saw mill
and timber yard, and in 1887 moved to Stockton in the
timber business, where he also erected shops and cottages
as well as owning substantial land at Port Stephens and
His Junction Inn has been in operation since 1836 and is
believed to be the second-oldest continually licenced hotel
in NSW, beaten by two years by the Berrima Inn.
... ITS PEOPLE
''John Shadrack Hart has the honour
of being the first Mayor of Raymond
Terrace, initially in 1884 and returned
for the next two years.''
League great and
Peter Sterling went
to Raymond Terrace
Primary School as his
parents were RAAF
In 1913 Dr Mark
Lidwell caught the
world's first black marlin
on rod and reel off Port
Stephens, making it
the birthplace of game
fishing in Australia.
Links Archive Hunter Our Backyard June 2011 Navigation Previous Page Next Page